Divepoint offers different kayaking classes and lessons for all ages and skill levels. We also do private and group lessons for clubs and organizations all around the Central Wisconsin area. Additionally, our local kayaking guided tours can customized for your specific needs. Call Divepoint and talk to Carrie… In Stevens Point: 715-344-3483, or in Wausau: 715-845-3483
KAYAKING CLASS SCHEDULES:
Kayaking for the Beginner
So you’ve just bought your first kayak or are thinking about buying one, now what? Whether you are kayaking in local lakes or gentle sections of the Wisconsin River, this is the entry level course for you. You will learn to, load and unload your boat on your vehicle, and safely launch and land it without embarrassing yourself. You’ll also discuss proper clothing and equipment, and practice the basic paddle strokes, and what to do if you tip over (hint: it’s okay to laugh). This is a 3 hour course and you do not have to get wet, but you can if you’d like. You are encouraged to bring your own kayak, paddle, and PFD, although rentals are usually available. The cost of this course is $50 or $75 with kayak rental included. Be sure to sign-up early, these classes fill up quickly! Check back often as more class dates will be posted soon.
- Wednesday May 15th in Stevens Point from Noon to 3:00pm OR 5:00pm to 8:00pm
- Saturday May 25th in Stevens Point from 9:00am to Noon
- Wednesday May 29th in Wausau Noon to 3:00pm OR 5:00pm to 8:00pm
- Tuesday June 4th in Stevens Point from 5:00pm to 8:00pm
- Saturday June 8th in Stevens Point from 9:00am to Noon
- Saturday June 29th in Wausau from 9:00am to Noon
- Wednesday July 3rd in Stevens Point from Noon to 3:00pm
- Sunday July 21st in Wausau from 9:00am to Noon
- Saturday August 10th in Stevens Point from Noon to 3:00pm
- More dates coming soon!
Kayaking for the Intermediate Paddler
Kayaking for the intermediate is just that, a step-up from the basics of the beginner course. Maybe you’ve had your kayak for awhile and you’d like to venture out past the safety of shore but don’t quite have the skills and knowledge to do so confidently…
In this course you will review the basic strokes, kick it up a notch with some new ones (including braces), and work on edging, wet exits and a basic rescue. You’ll also have the option to try a skirt. This is a 4 hour course and is a bit more physical than the beginner courses; you will get wet! You will need to bring your own personal equipment for the course including a kayak, PFD, paddle, and bilge pump. You will have a great time as you learn new skills and boost you confidence level. The cost of this course is $75. Kayak rentals are available for a small additional charge.
- Saturday May 25th in Stevens Point from 1:00pm to 5:00pm
- Saturday June 8th in Stevens Point from 1:00pm to 5:00pm
- Tuesday June 11th in Wausau from 5:00pm to 9:00pm
- Saturday June 29th in Wausau from 1:00pm to 5:00pm
- Wednesday July 3rd in Stevens Point from 4:00pm to 8:00pm
- Sunday July 21st in Wausau from 1:00pm to 5:00pm
- Saturday August 10th in Stevens Point from 4:00pm to 8:00pm
- More dates coming soon!
Kayak Rescue Course
This course is all about safety and rescues. In this course you will be capsizing, and getting back into your boat with poise and grace. You will refresh your t-rescue skills, learn other methods of assisted rescues, learn how to self rescue with a paddle float and stirrup, and use a tow line. This course will give you the confidence to try new waters by developing your own personal rescue plan. We will also introduce you to the benefits of a kayak skirt. This is a 5 hour course, it is physical, and you will get wet. You will need your own personal equipment for this course including, kayak, PFD, paddle, paddle float, bilge pump, rescue stirrup, and tow line. The cost of this course is $75.00. Rentals, including wetsuits, are available for a small additional fee.
- Sunday May 26th in Stevens Point from Noon to 5:00pm
- Sunday June 8th in Stevens Point from Noon to 5:00pm
- Thursday June 27th in Wausau from 4:00pm to 9:00pm
- Sunday June 30th in Wausau from Noon to 5:00pm
- Wednesday July 10th in Stevens Point from 4:00pm to 9:00pm
- Wednesday July 24th in Stevens Point from 4:00pm to 9:00pm
- Wednesday August 21st in Stevens Point from Noon to 5:00pm
- More dates coming soon!
Kayak Rolling Class
This class is all about being upside down in your boat and will get you well on your way to a successful Eskimo Roll. Prerequisite for this class is the intermediate kayaking class or equivalent skill and knowledge base. This class is done in a local swimming pool. You will work on a proper “hip-snap” and proper paddle positioning, but not everyone will be successful in one class. The first 2 hour session cost $40.oo each additional 2 hour session is $20.00. You will need your own personal equipment for this course including, kayak, PFD, paddle, nose plug, and most importantly a properly fitted skirt. Call us for more details along with times and dates. These classes are usually one-on-one instruction.
- Monday June 10th , Wednesday June 12th , Monday June 17th , Wednesday June 19th, , Monday June 24th , Wednesday June 26th From 8:00pm to 10:00pm Donald Copps Municipal Pool in Stevens Point
- Tuesday July 9th, Thursday July 11th, Tuesday July 16th, Thursday July 18th, Tuesday July 23rd, Thursday July 25th From 8:00pm to 10:00pm Donald Copps Municipal Pool in Stevens Point
- More dates coming soon!
Kayaking for persons with disabilities
Divepoint prides itself in getting everyone safely and comfortably on the water, if you have questions about kayaking please call and talk to one of our experienced ACA Kayak Instructors. These classes are personalized and customized just for you.
- More Dates Coming Soon!
Intro to Whitewater Kayaking
In this class students will learn the basics of whitewater kayaking in a flat water setting. Students will learn the proper gear to use in whitewater kayaking as well as the wet exit which is the way kayakers can get out of their boats in case of a capsize. Other skills that will be learned include paddling forward and backwards, bracing, turning, carving, edge control, T-rescue and rolling. A short swim test is required for this class. Equipment will be provided.
Wausau Whitewater Park Release Classes
In this class students who have already participated in our “Intro to Whitewater Kayaking” class have the opportunity to paddle at the world class Wausau Whitewater Park located in downtown Wausau, WI. On the lower half of the course the students will be taught the basic river running tactics. The river maneuvers that students will learn include, the ferry, eddy turns, and peel outs. Besides the skills, students will learn river features and river classifications. Throughout the day the students will also be taught about potential hazards that kayakers encounter on a river trip. Equipment is provided. Prior whitewater experience required.
Wolf, Red and Peshtigo River Trips
During these trips students will have the opportunity to be led by experienced instructors down some of the classic rivers in Wisconsin. All the skills from the Wausau Releases and Intro to Whitewater Classes will be put into practice during these trips. These paddling trips are meant to show new kayakers the rivers of Wisconsin have to offer. While on the river, students will be allowed to practice their skills and work on developing them further. Paddlers will need to provide their own rides, but will be provided with gear. Experienced kayakers can bring their own gear if they prefer.
Other courses are held as demand dictates, call the store for last-minute opportunities.
In Stevens Point 715.344.3483 or In Wausau 715-845-3483
More dates coming soon…